Friday, August 26, 2011

The Room of my Own

If you have not gotten a fresh start on life and moved away from home, or your home town, I strongly advise you do so.  In my experience it has been the greatest thing I was ever able to do for myself.  Sure there are times when I want to be home, have a home cooked meal, cry on my moms shoulder when nothing goes the way I please, have my dad fix anything I need fixing, go play a round of golf with the family whenever I want, have late night talks with my brother about the most interesting things; ya, I miss all these things greatly.  I even miss the little things like watching the stars late at night, the silence of the snow falling on a cold winters day, or even the smell of the rain as it falls on the sidewalk.  But I get by because I know these things will all be there when I return for my next visit home.  These things are my basis for where I grew up, they are things that put the biggest smile on my face because it reminds me of home.  Home is where my heart is, it is where I grew up and where I established who I wanted to become because of the great examples in my life.  But now it is time for me to make my own home and establish that person I decided I wanted to become so long ago.  With these great memories of home I have no fear that I can go out into this big world and make my own path through it, do my own thing, and become who I want to be.  

Two years ago I began this new chapter, this new path to my life.  Since then I have been greatly blessed with amazing new friends, awesome support from my family and many experiences I wouldn't take back for anything.  As I moved back to San Diego for my third year in college I realized how happy I truly am here in my own place I established for myself.  Two years ago I decided to move here, to start my own chapter and to become who I wanted to become.  This was the best thing I have ever done for myself.  Since then I have learned many lessons in life and even though some of them were very difficult to go through I am grateful for the opportunities I have been given.  Without these opportunities I wouldn't be the woman I am today.  I am happy in this new place of mine, I am happy in this new room of my own that I built it for myself.  I made a pathway to happiness for myself because in these past two years I have learned what makes me happy, I learned what I want out of my life and how to go out there and get it.  This doesn't mean that I am not sad at times when I miss my family, when I just want to be with my boyfriend, or even when I miss the simple things like a home cooked meal or the stars at night.  It doesn't mean that its easy when I have to stay up late to study for finals, or when I have to balance work and school to make money to get by.  It just means that getting out and experiencing the world around you, and finding your true self is an important part of life and we ALL need to experience this.  We ALL need to build a "room of our own".  

No comments:

Post a Comment